How to Connect a TP Link Extender to a New Router?
|Table of Contents:
|2. Connecting Devices: Important Points to Consider
2.1. How to Reset TP Link Extender
|3. How to Connect a TP Link Extender to New Router?
3.1. Using WPS Button
3.2. Using Web Browser
|4. How to Fix TP Link Extender setup Issues?
Connecting Devices: Important Points to Consider
Before you connect your TP Link WiFi range extender to the new router, you need to consider the point in mind that your extender is still running the previous configuration settings. That means the previous router settings are still saved on it. You need to erase them first. But, how will you do that? By restoring the factory values on the extender. Here is the process to do this:
How to Reset TP Link Extender?
- Plug the TP Link wireless extender into the wall socket and turn it on.
- Locate the button labeled Reset on the extender.
- Press it gently.
TP Link extender is reset to the factory settings now. It is ready to be set up with a new router.
How to Connect a TP Link Extender to New Router?
Before you learn how to connect a TP Link extender to the new router, we want you to first unplug the existing router and plug the new router into the power socket and turn it on. Make sure that both devices are placed in the same room.
Using WPS Button
- Power up your TP Link wireless range extender.
- Now, locate the WPS button on the extender and push it gently.
- Thereafter push the WPS button of your new router.
This is all about how to connect a TP Link extender to a new router using the WPS button. If you couldn’t connect the devices using this method, then use the instructions highlighted in the ahead-given method.
Using Web Browser
- Make sure both the TP Link extender and the host router are connected to the power source.
- Fetch an Ethernet cable and make connection between these two devices. In case you do not have an Ethernet cable, then connect them wirelessly.
- It is now time to access the web-based interface of the TP Link extender. For that use your PC and load an internet browser on it.
- Move the cursor to the URL bar of the browser and type the login web address or the default web address carefully.
- Hitting Enter will take you to the login page on which you need to input login credentials to unlock the door to the quick setup page.
- On the quick setup page, follow what you see on the screen.
TP Link extender is now connected to the new router and the setup is completed. You can now access to the extender WiFi on various devices. You can now update the firmware of the extender and change TP Link password from default values to strong one.
How to Fix TP Link Extender Setup Issues?
While you were connecting the TP Link extender to the host router, if you got stuck mid-way then you can contact our experts to help you out. Or you can try the troubleshooting tips provided in the next section.
- Make sure that you have reset the extender to the factory settings first before you are trying to connect it to the new router.
- Check that the extender as well as the router is receiving a stable power supply.
- Also, make sure that the extender is connected to a reliable internet connection.
- In the event you are using the WPS button method, you need to be certain that you are pressing the correct buttons on both devices.
- If you are using the web browser method, then use a PC with an updated OS.
- Also, use the updated web browser to complete the setup process.
- Type the web address or the default IP address right into the address bar. Avoid using the search bar of the browser here.
- While you are entering the login details, check that the Caps Lock key is disabled.
By considering these points, you will be able to get succeeded in connecting the TP Link extender to the new router to complete the setup process.
Now, you know how to connect a TP Link extender to a new router. We are sure that you will be now able to access the extender’s seamless WiFi without any hassle.